Gopabandhu Academy of Administration" was established in May, 1958 at Hirakud, Sambalpur, as an Administrative Officers' Training School under the General Administration Department of Government of Odisha. In the year 1974, it was shifted to the Gram Sevak Talim Kendra, Siripur and was then relocated in 1975 at the old shopping centre of General Administration Department in Sahid Nagar where it was named as Gopabandhu Institute of Administration and Training (GIAT) after Utkalmani Gopabandhu Das, a great son of Odisha who has left an indelible mark in the fields of freedom movement and selfless social service. Later on it was rechristened as Gopabandu Academy of Administration.. The Academy was shifted to its present permanent campus at Chandrasekharpur, Bhubaneswar in August 1989. It is located over an area of 18 acres of land and is at a distance of about 6.5 Kilometers from Bhubaneswar Railway Station, 6 Kilometers from Baramunda Bus Stand, about 10 Kilometers from Biju Patnaik Airport, Bhubaneswar and is about one kilometer to the west of the Xavier Square on the main road leading from Jaydev Vihar to Nandan Kanan.